/* Style Definitions */
mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;
font-family:”Times New Roman”,”serif”;}
This is a great list of attributes of parents of
sexual healthy adolescents! How do you measure up? Where can you make
Parents of sexually healthy adolescents:
- Demonstrate value, respect,
acceptance, and trust in their adolescent children.
- Model sexually healthy
attitudes in their own relationships.
- Maintain a non-punitive stance
- Are knowledgeable about
- Discuss sexuality with their
- Provide information on
sexuality to their children.
- Seek appropriate guidance and
information as needed.
- Try to understand their son’s
or daughter’s point of view.
- Help their daughter or son gain
an understanding of their values.
- Set and maintain limits for
dating and other activities outside of school.
- Stay actively involved in their
son’s or daughter’s life.
- Ask questions about friends and
- Provide a supportive and safe
environment for their children.
- Offer to assist adolescents in
accessing health care services.
- Help their daughter or son plan
for their future.
From Facing Facts: Sexual Health for America’s
Adolescents, SIECUS, New York, NY, 1995.